This course was developed as a tool for teachers, parents, and administrators to provide information that will help you in a variety of different scenarios and settings in terms of managing students who have had a concussion, and how to reintegrate them and get them acclimated back into your classroom.
Developed in cooperation with Pediatric Neuropsychologist Dr. Scott Burkhart, Children's Health Andrews Institute for Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine and Brian P. Rieger, PhD, Director, Upstate Concussion Center at SUNY Upstate Medical University.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the background information on how a concussion affects a student's ability to return to learn.
- Discuss how educators are imperative for student recovery from a concussion.
- Determine how to provide appropriate support to students recovering from a concussion through the use of a student recovery plan.
- Discuss instructional strategies specific to the impairments the student is experiencing.
- Articulate how to accommodate for symptom provocation of a concussion.
- Utilize a variety of resources to support learning after the course has been completed.